In the NIC of Time
In 2011, the Russ and Hampton families set out to create a unique fundraising initiative—In the NIC of Time—to bring awareness to the miracles that take place every day in our own community. They wanted to use their story to ask the community to support Atrium Health Levine Children’s Hospital’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), where the Hampton family witnessed miracles. Since its inception, In the NIC of Time has raised over $500,000 to support Levine Children’s NICU.
Today, In the NIC of Time is the only youth-led fundraising initiative of its kind in the greater Charlotte area, bringing together high school students with a passion for children’s healthcare. This dedicated group of teens raises funds year-round, and through special fundraising events, to support Levine Children’s most medically fragile patients treated in the hospital’s NICU.
Ways to support In the NIC of Time:
Sponsor or Purchase Tickets for In the NIC of Time’s Winter Wonderland Event:
You can also support this important fundraising initiative year-round through direct donations.
How supporters of In the NIC of Time have made a difference:
Below are some of the recent examples of how philanthropic support of In the NIC of Time has benefited the Levine Children’s NICU:
- Neonatal Webcam System: Neonatal Intensive Care and Progressive Care Nurseries at Levine Children’s Hospital are equipped with webcams in every isolette – providing real-time viewing of babies to help families bond, even when they cannot be at the bedside.
- NICN Sleep Rooms / Aesthetic and Machine Upgrades: Proceeds from In the NIC of Time, as well as direct contributions to the Cottie & Cake Fund, supported aesthetic and machine upgrades to the six sleep rooms located in the Neonatal Intensive Care Nurseries at Levine Children’s Hospital. Not only did these upgrades create a place of comfort and respite for families whose infants are treated in the NICN, but two of the six rooms were also up-fitted with the medical technology to accommodate families with twin newborns.
- NICU Journey Bead Program: Since 2017, the Cottie & Cake Fund has been supporting this family support program, which uses handcrafted glass beads as a tangible way for families to acknowledge and celebrate their infant’s story in a creative, memorable way. It’s a way to recognize the emotions, remember the milestones, and reflect upon the trials and triumphs that make up each unique NICN journey.
- 10 new NICU privacy screens: These new privacy screens were put in place in the hope to enhance the quality of care and bond between families and their newborns.
- Dornier Diode Laser: Charlotte Fetal Care Center was able to purchase this specialized piece of equipment to provide Fetoscopic Laser Surgery for high-risk pregnancies.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery (NICN) at Levine Children’s Hospital is one of the most comprehensive neonatal care facilities in the region. This year, as in recent years, Levine Children’s has been ranked by U. S. News & World Report as one of the top 50 “Best Children’s Hospitals” in the nation for neonatology.